1526 Broadway | Detroit, Michigan 48226
Dig The Details:
Located on the corners of Broadway and Madison at Grand Circus Park, the theater now known as the Detroit Opera House was originally opened January 12, 1922, as the Capitol Theater. At the time of its gala premiere, the 4,250-seat theater claimed to be the fifth largest in the world. The theater was the first in a series of palatial vaudeville and moving picture houses built in the Grand Circus Park area in the 1920s. Designed by renowned Detroit architect C. Howard Crane, whose genius for theater design took him to cities around the nation, the building was constructed with superb acoustics and in the style of the grand European opera houses. Crane also designed such Detroit landmarks as the Fox Theater, State Theater, and the acoustically perfect Orchestra Hall.